April 03, 2014

BeLove, Downtown, Victoria

After a good training run, I met up with @RunnerChicWC (aka Andrea, of almost as many mentions as the Brunette of my Acquaintance).  I'd done a nice gentle run around the work place, she'd run about 300km, wrestled two bears and bench pressed the Himalayas.  Or something close to that, I'm sure.  The restaurant we ended up in had a noise problem (or I had soap in my ears) that met some of the conversation drifted into the wooden rafters.

BeLove advertises Vegan, gluten-free food, free of processed sugar, added additives, no dairy and mostly organic, local produce.  Yes, it's a place like that, which some folks will scoff at while others will think it's the single most beautiful list that a restaurant could have.  Just to add to the hippy vibe, lets chuck in part of their manifesto : 'heal the body, mind & soul. here to honour our earth community'.  Oh, the cynical bones in this authors body are starting to twitch and spasm.

Oh yes, pre-expectations and biased views abounded, but having been told by Andrea it was good, and one her personal heroes eats there a lot, and knowing that trying new stuff is the whole bloody point, I got in touch with my softer side.  And just like a five minute breathing exercise to connect with the karmic energies, it might be hippy mumbo jumbo, but I felt fantastic after the meal.  So, they've got something there.

The weird item on the menu, for me, with a place so free of everything I'd call fine is the inclusion of libations.  Gluten free beer, cocktails and wines. On the other hand, fermentation happens naturally, so why not turn some sugars into alcohols as part of a healthy meal?  Though I drove down, and stuck with a Lazer Beam Cream Soda.  A flash back to my youth, but sharpened up and slow drinking.  Did the trick to start it all off right.

As out came the Falafels (for me) and Yam Chips with Gucamole (for her).  Warm and lightly spiced with a creamy sauce (made from cashews, some how) these fritters had a savoury chickpea satisfaction.  Just about cooked right, they crumbled but only once you stuck a fork in them.  Well turned out.  The Chips and Guac were okay, the yam chips didn't make me cry out for more, but Andrea seemed to polish them of with a happy smile, and we carried on discussing meditation and thought cleansing.  Of course, the venue just led to it!

For the main course, I ordered the Love Bowl.  This has no fixed price, with the aim to turn no-one away.  I am not sure what would have happened if I'd refused to pay, but I do believe that being an arsehole leads to people noticing, repercussions and being unhappy. Karmic justice, with a practical bent.  So I did pay a little over the suggested price $8, was simply bet well fed.  It's a dish of carbs (quinoa for me), steamed greens and pulses (black beans) with a dressing (lemon-tahnini in my case).  Simple pleasures, you can make this at home easily enough, but I'm not quite organized enough to do so that often.  But the dish reminds you -can-, that simple food is tasty and good for you.  Because I really did feel content afterwards.

Andrea had the Green Bowl, which was a riot of green veggies, mushrooms and green curry sauce on brown rice.  It tasted damn fine too, though lacked the simplicity of the Love Bowl.  But perhaps I was feeling spartan.  Of course, that's why I ordered the Tiramasu to complete the meal.  This got quickly swapped with Andrea's cheese cake.  It was a heavy dense block, tasting of brandy and coffee and with that damp biscuit mouth feel, and too much coconut for me.  But I probably just got exicted by the towering, layered look of the meal, and forgetting Ièm not a Tiramasu fan.  Whereas the cheesecake was lighter, but still had that heavy, cream cheese mouth feel, and a tasty crushed base of toasted nuts and dried fruit.

But, I cry, how can you make cheese cake and Tiramasu without diary? Without gluten? Without refined sugars?  Possibly magic pixie dust and heavily disguised clay.  But more likely, cashew nut cheese, coconut milk, experience and skilled kitchen staff.  It seems less likely to get the health inspectors in, too.  And Pixies don't like sharing.  For the record, Andrea was also happy with the swap and I think her grin afterwards was even bigger than it was at the start.

Overall, I was very satisfied leaving.  I had a great meal, at a fair price for food that isn't my normal diet (but feel it should be more often).  I did feel great afterwards, and it's good to catch up with Andrea.  Though I seem to have not made enough direct quotes from her this time, she might fill them in the comments.



Be Love on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment