December 08, 2013

Day 8 - Cecelia Creek Eatery, Victoria

Breakfast this morning was provided by the Cecelia Creek eatery, and in part for by a Groupon.  I've spent too much on Groupon's so I know only use them when I KNOW I'll be at that venue in the next two weeks. Which really defeats the object of Groupon, to create sales, but I'll leave the business world to work out if Groupon is a good idea, and if it's a sustainable business model to provide services at 25% normal cost (Groupon takes about 50% of the voucher price).

The Eatery is good and doesn't need Groupons to keep driving business long term if Victorian can wise up and make the trip there. Based out on the Gorge in the Ramada there (which is also home to Hecklers comedy bar).  They've been doing a lot of promotion on the Zone FM about their unusual combos, like Butter Chicken Benny's and Perogy breakfasts.  I looked around the table today with my friends, and part from the eggs and toast, I had buyers regret on them all.  And the toast and eggs gets thumbs up as well, it's just not -unusual-.

I had a cod fish cake eggs benedict.  Lovely poached eggs, a light Hollandaise and little cakes of cod, with a little bit of a pepper based dressing.  The eggs were ordered medium, but I'd claim they were more hard than medium... or I should have ordered softer eggs.  No matter, they were delicious.  All the fruit cup got eaten as well.  I like the fact they also offer fresh ground pepper and Siracha sauce on the table.  I like hot sauce with eggs, and dislike having to wait as they grow cold for the server to bring some over.  I know, waiting for hot sauce is such a terrible thing to happen to me.

On other plates were the Scotch Egg with sausage gravy on french bread.  Or protein and fat, wrapped in protein and far, friend and smothered in a fatty, protein sauce.  It defeated the eater, but he did promise to come back for round two and another tilt at it some time.  It looked incredibly heavy and but also incredibly tasty.  The Egg was 'scotched' in ground beef, rather than a more Scottish tradition of pork.

I would like to point out Scotch Eggs are not made with whisky. Not that anyone though that. But that's why Scottish Whisky should be called 'Whisky' and not 'Scotch'.  Scotch is what you do to eggs and rumours.  Not the national drink of the Northern half of the British Isles.

The perogy breakfast looked like a big pile of awesome perogies, and the pancakes an even bigger pile of fluffiness with syrup.  There was a garlic omelette that had a cleaned plate as well.  Coffee was served and served until I was caffeinated till next Tuesday.  Excellent service, lovely big kitchen table for the seven of us. Not too busy (great to walk in and not wait).  Nice environment, they hit all the right notes for a Breakfast joint in Victoria.  A twist on traditional menu, well executed and well run.

The ONLY downside I will mention is their policy for groups.  They don't split the bill for over six people, and try to encourage it to be split X ways.  That doesn't really work for a casual breakfast crowd meeting up to pick over their weekends.  One person might only have a coffee and slice of toast as they nurse a hangover, while the next has gone for the full on steak and eggs special, with a bacon Cesar and hot chocolate.  Not exactly fair to split that bill six ways.   But apparently it's the policy to do it that way (and tack on an automatic service charge).  That probably cheated our server out of a buck or two, as she was excellent, and I'd probably have tipped on the upper side of the 15% mark they put down by default (from the menu).

A small black mark on what for me is one of the top five breakfast places in Victoria right now.

Cecelia Creek Eatery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment