January 10, 2010

The Fireside Grill

It was the end of a long year, so I suggested that my team at work go out for a beer and bite to eat to celebrate Christmas, New Year and finishing projects. The closest food place is the Fireside Grill, so we headed up there for a sit in the bar and sample their menu.

The building itself reminds me of an old English farmhouse, complete with tudor beams, white washed panels and narrow windows. I'm not sure the history of the building, but both inside and outside I could have been in one of a number of country pubs just of the A-roads of Britain. The inside is wood panelled, old wood beams and I'm sure I saw a row of horse brasses next to the bar. That might have been a residual memory though. It's a relaxed atmosphere, but still feels refined. I understand it's popular with the executive level at work, and this seems to be the sort of customer they cater for.

We elected to sit in the bar area. The restaurant was pretty quiet, but it was only 4pm, and also looked a bit more formal than we really needed. Service was prompt after we sat ourselves down, and the waitress quickly provided menus and took our drink order. I was served a Beacon IPA, which must have been kept well, perfect temperature and still crisp and clean. It's only what you should expect, but I've been too many places that just screw it up. My colleagues drinks include a Malibu Pineapple which they said was good as well.

We examined the Lunch menu, and I ordered a beer-battered cod and chips, while my colleagues ordered a BBQ'd chicken sandwich and the chopped salad. The last of my group just reminiscenced over the pizza he'd just eaten at the Irish Times downtown, so we got him another beer. The dinner menu looks to be more adventurous, while the lunch menu seems to be variation of bar standards.  And nothing wrong with that.

Food was served quickly. The chicken burger was good, as was the salad, with plenty there to eat on. Nothing spectacular, but good bar-style food. My fish and chips was a bit of a disappointment. The chips (well fries, not thick cut enough to be real chips) were well cooked, fluffy and light. The coleslaw was crisp and tasty. However the battered cod was over cooked and dry. There's only so much of this fish around and it seemed a waste to fry it to the point of losing all the flavour and softness I'd expect.

I did mention this later to the manager, and I believe this was conferred back to the kitchen. I didn't mention it at the time, which I realise is probably just my British reserve, but also doesn't give the staff a chance to rectify the problem. Lesson learnt after discussion with other people in the industry.

I can see being in here again once or twice for a beer when the management may want an off-site 'fireside' chat with me. There's few places to eat around the area that aim at this level of eating out.

Final Bill :

Beer Battered Cod and Chips - $16.99
BBQ Grilled Chicken Sandwich - $13.99
Chopped Green Salad - $8.99
Pint of Beacon IPA - $5.50

Location : 4509, West Saanich Road
Telephone : (250) - 479 - 1222
Website : http://www.firesidegrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment